(For a more detailed history thru 1872, click HERE
Blount County was created by the Alabama Territorial Legislature
on February 6, 1818 from land ceded to the Federal Government by the Creek
Nation. Mine owners Henry DeBardeleben and James Sloss bought land and the L & N Railroad causing the county seat to be moved from Blountsville to Oneonta in 1889 where it is presently located.
Known for its Covered Bridges...................
Blount County lies in the
northeastern section of the state, and is bordered by
Cullman, created 1877 from Blount, Morgan & Winston,
Marshall, created 1836 from Blount, Jackson & Cherokee Nation,
Etowah, created 1867, (Etowah was originally Baine Co. from Dec. 1866- Dec. 1867 and Baine was created from Blount, Calhoun, Cherokee, Dekalb, Marshall, and St. Clair Counties),
Jefferson, created 1819 from Blount,
St. Clair, created 1818 from Shelby, and
Walker, created 1824 from Marion & Tuscaloosa
It was named for Tennessee Governor W. G. Blount who sent militia
under Andrew Jackson to defend the settlers in Alabama during the Creek War
of 1813-1814. Some of Jackson's men were first settlers.
Other towns and communities
include Allgood, Bangor, Blount Springs, Blountsville, Cleveland, County
Line, Hayden, Locust Fork, Nectar, and Susan Moore.
Another good site
with pictures and histories including surnames: Powell, Hanby, Murphee, Anderson, Bynum, Hanby, DeBardeleben, Sloss, Vandegrift, Forrest, Streight, Hearn.