Graham County has an area of 6,500 square miles, nearly the size of Massachusetts, and is bounded on the north by Gila, Navajo and Apache Counties; on the east, by New Mexico ; on the south by Cochise, and on the west by Pinal and Gila Counties, and is bisected from east to west by the Gila River.
Solomonville, the county-seat, is situated on the south side of the Gila River, and a line of railroad connects it with the Southern Pacific at Bowie Station. This line of road strikes into the valley of the Gila at Solomonville, and continues on down the same to the San Carlos, some fifty miles, where it crosses the Gila to the north side, and is finished as far as Globe in Gila County. At some future day this road will be extended from Globe to connect with the Atlantic and Pacific system at some point which may then be deemed most advantageous to the interests of those who may then be concerned.
Along the Gila River from Solomonville, down to the San Carlos Indian Reservation, are thriving towns and many fine farms; a very thriving settlement, principally Mormons, who by their industry and thrift, have made this valley to blossom as the rose. This is a great mining county; the extensive mines of Clifton and Morenci are within its boundaries. These mines produce, and have been producing for several years, a revenue to the fortunate owners which many an eastern principality might deem to be a sufficient cause of congratulation.
There is a railroad from these mines connecting with the Southern Pacific at Lordsburg, in New Mexico, some forty-one miles of this railroad are in this county. There will, eventually, be many other mines in this county worked at a large profit as the mining interest is in its infancy, excepting at two or three points. This county was created into a separate county by the eleventh legislature in 1881, by taking a part from Pima and Apache Counties.
The county is mountainous, with many rich valleys and fertile tracts along the foothills. The Gila River rims entirely through the county with many windings, but a general west course, and along it is much fine land well adapted to the raising of fruits and cereals, and much of it, in the last twenty years has been highly cultivated.
History of Arizona by Sidney R. DeLong, 1905