Biographical Sketches
Biographical Sketches
Last Name First Name Sketch
BAGAASEN O. K. BOOK - HISTORY OF FREEBORN COUNTY, MN. PUBLISHED IN 1911. O. K. Bagaasen, an industrious farmer who for many years has resided in the township of Bancroft, is the son of K. 0. and Elena (Larson) Bagaasen. The mother came to the United States from Norway in 1850 with her parents and they located in Wisconsin, and the father left the land of his birth and emigrated to this country five years later. When the war between the North and South began, the father enlisted and served his adopted country until the end of the struggle; he was honorably discharged and returned to his home and later was married. To. this marriage four children were born; Martina, the wife of Ed Blagen, of Roseau county; Bertha, now Mrs. Anton Ingbritsen; Dora, the wife of Mr. Johnson, of the Albert Lea Creamery; O. K., the eldest, who is the subject of this biography and was born February 19, 1868. He owns 160 acres of land in Bancroft township and carries on general farming, and he is also interested to some extent in dairying; he keeps about twenty-five cows for this purpose and disposes of their milk to the Albert Lea Creamery. He lives in the comfortable house which his father erected, but he has built new and commodious barns and a silo, and in many respects made his farm one of the well improved and valuable farms in the township. By his wife, Hanna, his home has been blessed by two children, Obie and Grant, the latter of whom is deceased. Mr. Bagaasen votes with the Republican party and has been elected to serve in various offices in his township, among which are his service as assessor for a term of four years, in which capacity he gave general satisfaction to the residents of the town. He is a member of the United Norwegian Lutheran church of Albert Lea, and a contributor to its support. Source: HISTORY OF FREEBORN COUNTY, MN. PUBLISHED IN 1911.
BERTILRUD SYVER G. THE BOOK OF MINNESOTANS - 1907 - ALBERT NELSON MARQUIS: BERTILRUD, Syver G., county auditor; born in Norway, Nov. 7, 1865; son of Gulbrand Baardson and Kjersti I. (Sorlie) Bertilrud; educated in common schools at Hedalen. Valders. Raised by poor parents on small farm; assisted in support of family while growing up; came to America, 1885, and began as laborer at Portland, N. D., continuing until 1889; settled on a homestead in Roseau Co., Minn., 1889, later Kittson Co., and engaged in farming; elected assessor for town of Dieter, 1892-93. treasurer. 1894, and assessor, 1897; appointed by Gov. Nelson as a member of the first county board of Roseau Co., 1895; elected judge of probate. Roseau Co., Nov., 1897, and re-elected. 1900: deputy county auditor, 1903-05; elected county auditor Nov., 1904, and re-elected Nov., 1906. Republican (formerly Populist.) Member Modern Woodmen of America. Unmarried. Address: Roseau, Minn.
CHRISTENSON ANDREW A. BOOK - HISTORY OF LYON COUNTY, MINNESOTA. PUB. IN 1912. ANDREW A. CHRISTENSON (1872) is a former sheriff of Lyon county and one of its pioneer settlers. He served the county in the capacity of sheriff twelve years and was on the police force at Tracy five years. He is assistant sergeant at arms of the Minnesota State Senate, having received the appointment in January, 1911. He is a native of Norway, born October 19, 1863. and came to the United States when one and one-half years of age. He located in Allamakee county, Iowa, where he resided until 1872. In the latter year our subject came to Lyon county and located in Monroe township, where his father homesteaded the southwest quarter of section 28, and resided there several years. He then started the struggle of life for himself, working at farm labor, on the section, and for two years was a fireman on the Northwestern railroad. He later served five years on the Tracy police force and was elected sheriff of Lyon in 1894 and served twelve years. He then spent four years on his farm in Monroe township and in 1910 moved to Tracy, where he has since resided. Our subject is a son of Andrew and Annie (Thorson) Christeuson, the former of whom resides in Tracy at the age of eighty-two years, and the latter is deceased. They were the parents of six children: C. A., of Roseau county, Minnesota: Andrew of this sketch; Christina, of Omaha; and Thomas, demand Martin, all deceased. The subject of this review is a member of the Blue Lodge, Chapter. Comniandery. Shrine and Eastern Star of the Masonic order. He also holds membership in the K. P. lodge of Tracy. On December 23, 1890, occurred the marriage of Mr. Christenson to Mattie Hanson, who was born in Fillmore county, Minnesota, May 22, 1863.
DAVIES FRANK P. BOOK - HISTORY OF MORRISON & TODD COUNTIES , MN. PUB. 1915. FRANK P. DAVIES. Frank P. Davies, a prosperous farmer of Round Prairie township, Todd county, Minnesota, is a native of Blue Earth county, Minnesota, where he was born on August 16, 1858. Mr. Davies is a son of Alvin and Sarah M. (Ives) Davies, the former of whom was a native of Oneida and the latter of St. Lawrence counties, New York. After the marriage of Alvin and Sarah M. (Ives) Davies in New York state, they came west to the state of Wisconsin and for a time resided in Fond du Lac. From Fond du Lac they moved to Belle Plaine, in Scott county, Minnesota, in 1856, and after living there for a short time moved to Blue Earth county, Minnesota, and pre-empted a tract of land where they lived until 1884. In that year the parents moved to Todd county and purchased a homestead of one hundred and sixty acres, which is now occupied by their son, Frank P. Mr. Davies' father died in June, 1897, and his mother in December, 1895. They were the parents of six children, five of whom are living, Henry, who is a resident of Roseau county, Minnesota; Frank P., the subject of this sketch; Minnie E., the wife of Edwin E. Blake, of Orofino, Idaho; Charles J., who is a resident of Kermit, North Dakota, and Carrie B., who is the wife of William Scoles, of Idaho. Jerome, the second child in the family, was a resident of Round Prairie township and died in 1912. Frank P. Davies received a good education in the common schools of Blue Earth county, Minnesota, and later attended the state normal school at Mankato. After completing his education, he was engaged in teaching school for twelve years. For the first five years he devoted his attention exclusively to teaching but during the next seven years taught school in the winter and farmed in the summer. He now owns one hundred and sixty acres of well-improved land in Round Prairie township, upon which he has erected a splendid house which is modern in every respect. He has made a specialty of stock raising and now has a fine herd of Holstein and Jersey cattle. He is president of the Little Sauk Rural Telephone Company and a member of the Live Stock Shipping Association of Gray Eagle. On March 22, 1882, Frank P. Davies was married to Olive A. Foster, who is a daughter of Joseph F. and Susan A. (Williams) Foster. Mrs. Davies was born in Dodge county, Wisconsin. Her father was a native of New York state and her mother of Vermont. They came to Minnesota in pioneer times and settled in Blue Earth county. Mrs. Davies' father died in that county and her mother in Le Sueur county. Mr. and Mrs. Frank P. Davies have been the parents of five children, four of whom are living and one died in infancy. The living children are, Ida B., the wife of Clarence E. Pearl, of Saskatchewan, Canada; Fay O., who married Lawrence Claffy, of Two Harbors, Minnesota; Benjamin H., and Ives W., both of whom are at home. Mr. Davies' father served three years as a member of Company E, Ninth Regiment, Minnesota Volunteer Infantry, during the Civil War. His father was an ardent Republican in politics and his son is also identified with this party. Frank P. Davies has been clerk of Round Prairie township since March, 1915, and was formerly supervisor of the township. He has also served as a school director. Mr. Davies is a member of Sons of Veterans and the Modern Woodmen of America. The Davies family all belong to the Congregational church.
DETERS FRED BOOK - HISTORY OF HOUSTON COUNTY, MN., PUBLISHED IN 1919. Fred Deters, one of the wealthiest citizens of Winnebago township, the owner of valuable farm lands, both in this township and elsewhere, is a man who has attained prosperity through his own enterprise and ability. He was born in Westphalen, Germany, Sept. 7, 1855, son of John and Bernadina (Meiners) Deters, and came to the United States with his parents at the age of 9 years, arriving in Houston county, Minnesota, July 8, 1864. The family setled immediately on Portland Prairie, the parents buying a farm near Eitzen, Winnebago township. It was but a small place of 40 acres, but before his death, John Deters had acquired 280 acres of land. His wife Bernadina died in 1874. Fred Deters attended common school for a while in Eitzen village, and for seven years was associated with his father in the development of the home farm. On March 17, 1879, he marrried Louisa, daughter of Barney and Maria (Stenkel) Brinker, of Allamakee county, Iowa, and brought his bride to his parents' farm, on which they spent their first year of domestic life. In the spring of 1880 Mr. Deters moved onto a farm of 120 acres, belonging to his father, in sec- 36 tion 30. Winnebago township, and for four or five years operated it as a renter, subsequently purchasing the place. Then in 1893 he bought an improved 80-acre farm in the same section, the buildings on which, however, were only fair. These he has improved or replaced by new ones, and his land being united has now a fine farm of 270 acres, of which 250 are under the plow and both well tilled and well fenced, the fencing being hogproof. The house, which he has enlarged and improved, is a two-story upright with wing, and contains 13 rooms. It is well painted and stands in a fine yard, there being an abundance of shrubbery. Mr. Deters also built a frame barn, measuring 40 by 90 by 18 feet, with full 8-foot stone basement. He has also a hog house, 22 by 52, with cement floors; a granary, machine shed, poultry house, wagon shed and garage, all the buildings being in good condition. The farm is very productive and is near convenient markets and shipping points, it being eleven miles south of Caledonia, and nine miles northwest of New Albin, Iowa. Mr. Deters also owns a well improved farm of 240 acres near Beltrami, in Polk county, Minn., and a 280- acre farm in Alberta, Canada, besides having land interests in the state of Washington. Though still residing on his farm in Winnebago township, it is now rented to one of his sons, Mr. Deters himself being practically retired, but makes annual visits to his property in the various localities, exercising a careful supervision over it. The winter of 1917-18 he and his wife spent in California at the home of a son, being from home five months. In addition to the interests already mentioned, he is also a shareholder in the Eitzen Co-operative Creamery, the Caledonia Stock and Grain Company, the Farmers' Co-operative Mercantile Company of Eitzen, the Mutual Iron Mining Company of Duluth, and the Western Mortgage & Loan Company of Minneapolis. In politics he has always been a Republican, and for a number of years was town supervisor, also serving as chairman of the board. In church matters he has also been prominent and is still active, he and his family belonging to the German Evangelical congregation at Eitzen. Mr. and Mrs. Deters are the parents of eight children: Alfrida, born Feb. 12, 1880, who is the wife of August Wiegrefe, of Wilmington township; Rosina, born May 21, 1881, who is now Mrs. William Wiebke, of Caledonia City; August, born Nov. 23, 1883, who is expert mechanic in an auto garage at Ventura, Calif.; Malinda, born April 3, 1885, now Mrs. Edward Freiberg, of Eitzen Village, her husband being a blacksmith and dealer in agriculutral implements; Alfred, born April 21, 1887, a farmer in Winnebago township; Martha, born June 17, 1889, who is now Mrs. Roy Smith of Roseau county, Minn.; Jennie, born Feb. 15, 1893, now Mrs. Henry Nolte, of Polk county, Minn.; and Elmer, who is now engaged in operating the home farm. Mr. Deters has just erected on his old home farm, a beautiful modern bungalow, comfortable and sightly, where he and his good wife will spend the afternoon of life after a busy career filled with worthy effort.
DUNDAS JOHN BOOK - COMPENDIUM OF HISTORY & BIOGRAPHY OF NORTHERN MINNESOTA, PUBLISHED 1902. Dundas, John. The successful pursuit of farming requires a thorough knowledge of a diversity of subjects and practical experience contributes largely to this knowledge. The gentleman above named has devoted his life to the calling of an agriculturist and his wide knowledge of times and seasons and his close observation of nature and results have served him well. He is a scientific and methodical farmer and has a home of great comfort in section 15 of Bloomer township and is one of the highly esteemed citizens of Marshall county. His farm consists of one hundred and sixty acres and he crops annually about three hundred acres. Mr. Dundas was born in Forfarshire, Scotland, December 13, 1839. After attaining his majority he was engaged as foreman for Mr. Faireweather in Scotland, and as land steward near Montrose. He resided in his native land until 1882 and then decided to try his fortunes in the new world. His sons had taken up their residence in Marshall county, Minnesota, and the possibilities afforded in the northwest were presented to the father and he accordingly crossed the ocean and upon his arrival became satisfied of good results from careful tillage of the soil and the improvement of the region by the pioneers and accordingly settled there. He purchased the land in Bloomer township on which he now makes his home and for four years worked Mr. Winchester's farm in Polk county. In 1887 he took up his residence on his own land and has since improved the same and developed a valuable estate. Painstaking care is evidenced on the farm and the yield is always good and the farm well managed in every detail. Mr. Dundas has accumulated for himself and family a good home in Minnesota and is thoroughly identified with the advancement and development of his adopted state. Mr. Dundas was married in 1860 to Willimina Urquhart. The forty years of their married life has been blessed by the birth of eleven children, ten of whom are now living, namely: Mary Ann, now Mrs. Carnegie; Thomas, engaged in farming in North Dakota; Christina, then Mrs. Williams, who was killed by lightning in 1895; James O., a prosperous farmer of Marshall county; John R., also farming in Marshall county; Wilhelmina, now Mrs. Cargill; David, clerking in Argyle; Katherine, now Mrs. Anderson, residing in Roseau county; Margaret, a teacher attending the St. Cloud Normal; Susanna F., also a teacher by profession; Charles, a teacher, residing at home. Al the children are natives of Scotland. Mr. Dundas is a man of broad mind and active public spirit but does not seek public preferment. He is non-partisan in politics and lends his influence for good government, national and local, and is deservedly one of the respected and esteemed citizens of his township.
ECK AARON BOOK - COMPENDIUM OF HISTORY & BIOGRAPHY OF NORTHERN MINNESOTA, PUBLISHED 1902. Eck, Aaron. Aaron Eck, chief of police of Crookston, is a popular and efficient city official. He is a gentleman of stability of character, is energetic and intelligent, and has made his way in the world through these characteristics and counts a host of friends in Polk county. Mr. Eck was born on the farm Hvilstad, Hackvad, Orebro, Sweden, July 1, 1866, and was the youngest of a family of three children born to Olaf and Caroline (Anderson) Eck. The father died when our subject was but six months of age after a lingering illness which left the family in destitute circumstances. The mother survives and makes her home in Crookston. As a boy of tender years our subject began to make his own living working on a farm. In 1883, when he was seventeen years of age, he received a ticket from his brother who had been in America about ten months, and he immediately embarked for the new world. He arrived at Quebec October 28, 1883, and made his way to Ashland, Wisconsin, which was then but a small village. He worked at odd jobs until winter and then in December went to the Wisconsin woods as a lumber jack. He went to Minneapolis in 1884 and in August went to the harvest fields of Dakota, remaining near Fargo until the fall of 1885. He then went to Roseau county in search of land and in the wilderness he and two companions spent three months among the Indians. They paid their expenses by hunting and trapping, but the land did not suit and in the spring of 1886 Mr. Eck went to Crookston. He entered the employ of the Red River Lumber Company and was in their employ nine years, and became an expert lumber grader and served three years as shipping clerk. He joined the police force of Crookston in 1895 and in January 1901 was advanced to the office of chief of police of Crookston, a position acquired through his efficient and faithful service. Mr. Eck was married in 1893 to Miss Mary Nyquist. Five children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Eck, namely: Agnes, Algate, Lizzie, Ellen and Harry L. Mr. Eck is nonpartisan in politics and lends hi influence for good government, local and national. He is a member of the Ancient Order of United Workmen.
ELLINGSON ERICK BOOK - HISTORY OF RICE & STEELE COUNTIES VOL I & II 1910. Erick Ellingson was born in Berlin township, Steele county, Minnesota, on December 24, 1877, he is a son of Elling and Anna (Lee) Ellingson, and a brother of Elling E. Ellingson with whom he is conducting a general merchandise business at Ellendale under the firm name of Ellingson Brothers. Erick received his education at the public schools and attended the Grand Forks College at Grand Forks, N. D., and also attended Concorda College at Morehead, Minn. After leaving school he entered the store of his brother at Meckinock, N. D., for one and onehalf years and then went to Roseau county, Minnesota, where, in the year 1900, he homesteaded 160 acres which he proved up and on which he remained until 1905, when he entered into copartnership with his brother, Elling at Ellendale, Minn., and has continued in the business since that time. He was married December 31, 1901, to Miss Catherine Thoreson and five children have been born to them-Alma E., Irene T., Ernest M., Mildred L., and Carl J. Mr. Ellingson is a member of the Norwegian Lutheran Church, and in his political views he is a Socialist. He is a justice of the peace of Ellendale. He has succeeded by hard work and strict attention to business and is a good citizen, having won the confidence and respect of all who know him.
FIFIELD GEORGE F. BOOK - HISTORY OF LYON COUNTY, MINNESOTA. PUB. IN 1912. GEORGE F. FIFIELD (1886) has lived in Lyon county since he was eleven years of age and is a farmer and land owner of Rock Lake and Shelburne townships. He engages quite extensively in stock raising, farms 380 acres in the two townships, and owns eighty acres in Shelburne township and 160 acres in Roseau county, Minnesota. The parents of our subject were Ira A. and Emily E. (Rueber) Fifield, natives, respectively, of New Hampshire and New York. They came to Lyon county In 1886, bought land in Lyons township, and resided on the farm there until their deaths. The father died in 1903, the mother in 1909. They were the parents of nine children, as follows: Nellie (Mrs. William Buell), of Roseau county, Minnesota; May (Mrs. S. Goodmund), of Lyons township; Ella (Mrs. J. W. Andrews), deceased; Ann (Mrs. W. E. Magandy), of Tyler; George F., of this review; James, deceased; Charles, of Minneapolis; Walter and Elmer, of Lyons township. The gentleman whose history we are chronicling was born in Wabasha county. Minnesota, October 10, 1875. He came to Lyon county with the family in 1886, attended district school until nineteen years of age, and worked for his father on the Lyons township farm until after reaching his majority. Then he was married and engaged in farming in Lyons township three years. He conducted a meat market in Balaton six months and then went North, to Roseau county. Minnesota. There he secured a homestead and resided two years. Upon his return to Lyon county he engaged in farming in Shelburne and Rock Lake townships and has since been so engaged. He raises Durham cattle and Poland China hogs. Mr. Fifield has stock in the Lyon County Co-operative Company of Balaton and he has been treasurer of school district No. 60 for the past six years. He is a member and one of the trustees of the Presbyterian church of Russell and holds membership in the Workmen and Woodmen lodges of the same village. The marriage of Mr. Fifleld to Mary L. Persons was solemnized in Rock Lake township June 28, 1899. She was born in the township in which she was married August 19, 1879. Her parents, Orville E. and Ella (Weeks) Persons, were among the first settlers of Rock Lake township and resided on their homestead until 190£. Then they moved to Clarkston, Washington, where they now live. Six children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Fifleld, of whom four are living. Their names and dates of births are as follows: Arthur R., born November 24, 1901; Elsie, deceased, born November 6, 1902; Harold G., born April 12, 1906; Addle, deceased, born April 11, 1908; Beatrice, born January 23, 1910; Ethel, born June 13, 1912.
FLINT ALBERT BOOK - COMPENDIUM OF HISTORY & BIOGRAPHY OF NORTHERN MINNESOTA, PUBLISHED 1902. Flint, Albert. Albert Flint, a well known and successful farmer of section 20 in Leaf Valley township, is one of the worthy citizens of Douglas county. Mr. Flint was born in Jo Daviess county, Illinois, June 7, 1852, and was a son of Major and Eliza (Sartwell) Flint, the former a native of Canada and the latter of New Hampshire. The father, now deceased, was born February 11, 1815, near Montreal, Canada, and removed with his parents to Vermont when he was a child. He was reared and educated in the Green Mountain state and as his father was a farmer he assisted when a boy and youth in the farm work, and thus received practical instruction and knowledge of this business and chose agriculture as his future occupation. When a young man he left his home in Vermont and traveled to Illinois, and for a time resided near Rockford, and later removed to Galena. In 1858 he went to Minnesota and pre-empted one hundred and sixty acres of land in Fillmore county, which he farmed successfully for nine years. He sold his farm in 1867 and removed to Douglas county in which year he bought a homestead claim of one hundred and sixty acres in sections 21 and 22 in Leaf Valley township and became one of the early settlers of that locality. During the same year he built a good log house upon the place which subsequently formed part of a modern and substantial residence which was erected in 1887. He followed diversified farming and erected good barns and other buildings for the protection of his grain and stock. At one time he was engaged extensively in sheep culture, and was considered one of the most successful and progressive agriculturists of his township. He was married at Galena, Illinois, December 30, 1848, to Eliza Sartwell, daughter of Royal and Elvira (Evans) Sartwell, both of whom were natives of New Hampshire, and were of English-Irish descent. Major Flint and wife became the parents of seven children, five of whom are now living, and are as follows: Jane, now Mrs. Lorenzo Peck, residing on the home farm and managing the same for the mother; Albert, our subject; Ellen, wife of E. L. Thompson, a farmer of Roseau county, Minnesota; Elvira, engaged in teaching and resides with her mother in Alexandria; Frank E., a merchant at Garfield, Douglas county. Major Flint died June 6, 1896, and his death was deeply mourned by his relatives and many friends. The widow now makes her home in Alexandria. Albert Flint received his education in the public schools of Fillmore counth, Minnesota, and as soon as he was able to work assisted on his father�s farm. He followed farming with his father and resided at home until he was thirty-three years of age, and in 1885 bought an improved farm of one hundred and sixty acres on section 20 and section 29 in Leaf Valley township. It had upon it a small dwelling house which he supplanted with a much better building in 1897. He had previously erected a barn, granary and other buildings necessary for conducting a farm and he has met with success in diversified farming. He has some stock and a good drove of hogs and keeps sufficient number of horses for farm use. He has about ninety-five acres under cultivation and raises a good crop of wheat, oats, corn, etc., annually. The farm is situated about two miles west of Spring lake on the prairie, and the residence and other buildings are surrounded by groves of shade trees. When he was a boy Mr. Flint wintnessed the planting of these trees by the original owner of the place. Mr. Flint is an independent voter and lends his influence for good government, local and national.
JOHNSON OLE BOOK - HISTORY OF FREEBORN COUNTY, MN. PUBLISHED IN 1911. Ole Johnson, who is a veteran of the Civil War, is a native of Norway, and was born October 28, 1842, son of John and Anna Johnson, who came to America with son Ole in 1861, and located in Iowa. From here they moved to Freeman township, this county, in 1871, and here they lived with subject of this sketch until their death, the father dying in 1886 and the mother several years before. Ole Johnson received his education in Norway. When he came to Iowa with his parents in 1861 the recruits were being sent to the south for the defense of the Union. He enlisted in Company A, Eighteenth Regiment, Iowa Volunteer Infantry, and for the whole of the war he suffered the privations and hardships incident to the life of those who saw the heat of the conflict and took a part in the strife. Mr. Johnson is very modest in regard to his experiences in the war, but it is certain that he performed his duties honorably, as he was held in high regard by his comrades. On returning from the war he at once took up the pursuits of peace, in the form of agriculture on his farm in Iowa, and later in Freeman township, where he settled in 1871. To his original 160 acres he added, and now has over 400 acres. He has engaged in diversified farming, and has made a special effort to raise a good grade of Shorthorn stock and keep an up-to-date dairy farm. On his well equipped farm he has made all the improvements. In 1866 Mr. Johnson married Bertha Erickson, who died in 1873. To this union was born one child, Carl, of St. Louis county, Minnesota. In 1875 Mrs. Anna Groven (she had one daughter by her first marriage-Avena, now Mrs. T. Lundwal, of Roseau county) became his second wife, and to them were born six children: Reinert, at home; Hanna, now of Albert Lea; Andrew, of Washington, and Alexander, Harold and Agnes are at home. The subject of this biography is a member of the Lutheran Church. He is a Republican and has held offices of trust at various times, among which were several terms as member of the school board.
KEEFE ALBERT BOOK - HISTORY OF MOWER COUNTY, MN. PUBLISHED IN 1911. Albert Keefe, an industrious farmer of Waltham township, was born in Bombay, N. Y., May 20, 1871, son of John T. and Maryann (Kerby) Keefe. He came to Minnesota with his parents, attended school in district 50, Udolpho, and assisted his father on the farm. When twenty-seven years of age he married Mary Driscoll, daughter of Michael and Catherine (Pendergast) Driscoll, the former of whom was born in Ireland, came to America, located in Chicago, came to Udolpho, lived eighteen years on the George B. Hayes farm, and afterward lived twenty years in Red Rock township, subsequently going to Virginia, in this state, where he now lives. Albert Keefe and wife lived five years in Newry, Freeborn county, and then came to Udolpho and located on the Stimson place. They are now on the Budahn farm in Waltham township. They are the parents of three bright children: William H., aged ten; Irene S., aged nine, and Margaret, aged one. Mr.Keefe owns 160 acres in the township of Badger, Roseau county, Minn. le is a modern farmer and his wife has proven an intelligent and sympathetic helpmeet.
LOFGREN PETER THE BOOK OF MINNESOTANS - 1907 - ALBERT NELSON MARQUIS: LOFGREN, Peter, general merchandise; born at Grangarde, Sweden, Aug. 23, 1858; son of Lof J. Janson and Kristina (Ersson) Lofgren; attended public schools of Sweden; came to America, May, 1880; took course in commercial law and business in Bryant & Stratton's Business College, Chicago. Ill. Engaged in mining at Norway, Mich., 1880, to April, 1883; removed to Stephen, Minn., and worked at carpenter's trade until Oct., 1883; engaged in mercantile business as head clerk for Julin & Larson of Chicago, until spring of 1887; associated with William Merdink and bought the stock, engaging in business as Lofgren & Merdink; built store at Pelan, Minn., and moved there, taking charge, 1889; dissolved partnership, 1901, retaining store at Pelan; also operating store at Karlstad,Minn., built, Sept., 1904. Half owner Karlstad Roller Mills and Elevator Co. Vice president and director State Bank of Pelan, State Bank of Karlstad. Roosevelt Republican. Justice of the peace, 18 years; president of village council 6 years at Stephen, 2 years at Pelan; member school boards for 16 years. Also a farmer and owner of over 3,000 acres of land in Kittson and Roseau counties. Member M. W. A. Married at Norway. Mich., May 28, 1882, to Miss Krlstina L. Spjut; five sons and one daughter living;—Arthur, William, David. Gust, Axel and Cecilia; ono son, Peter, died. 1898, at age of 11. Address: Pelan, Minn.
MEYER RUDOLPH A. T. BOOK - HISTORY OF LYON COUNTY, MINNESOTA. PUB. IN 1912. RUDOLPH A. T. MEYER (1901) is the owner of one of the best farms in Vallers township. It is improved with a good set of buildings and is tiled and fenced. The farm consists of 240 acres and is described as the southeast quarter of section 20 and the north half of the southwest quarter of section 21. Mr. Meyer engages in general farming and raises Durham cattle and Chester White hogs. Mr. Meyer's early life was spent in other occupations than farming, many years having been devoted to a mercantile career. He is a German by birth, having been born in the province of Mecklenburg June 2, 1852. When he was one year old he was brought by his parents, Ludvlg F. and Caroline (Groth) Meyer, to America. The family home was made in Clayton county, Iowa, and there our subject grew to manhood. He received a good education, completing it with a course in a commercial college at Dubuque. At the age of nineteen young Meyer started out in life for himself. He taught school in Clayton county four years and in 1875 he and J. W. Ward opened a general store at Postville, Iowa. For the next eleven years they carried on the business under the firm name of Ward & Meyer. At the end of that time the stock was divided and Mr. Meyer, who had erected a store building, engaged In business alone. Two years later a fire destroyed his buildIng and all except a small part of his stock. He closed out the business and turned farmer. After renting land for several years in Iowa, he came to Lyon county In 1901, bought his Vallers farm, and has since been engaged in its management. Mr. Meyer served on the township board five years, was justice of the peace eight years, and has been treasurer of school district No. 48. He is a German Lutheran. Bertha Bander and Rudolph Meyer became man and wife at Lansing, Iowa, on October 16, 1876. She is also a native of Germany and was born November 12, 1853. To them have been born seven children, named as foUows: Amanda, the wife of H. P. Maroude; Rudolph, of Vallers township; Albert, deceased; Elsa, the wife of J. H. Johnson; Paul, of Roseau county, ' Minnesota; Malinda, the wife of Peter Paradis; and Ulrich, who lives with his parents.
MUIR JAMES B. THE BOOK OF MINNESOTANS - 1907 - ALBERT NELSON MARQUIS: MUIR, James B., physician; born In Canada, May 10, 1860; educated in common schools; Clinton Collegiate Institute, Can.; Bennett Medical College, Chicago, M.D., C.M., 1885. Began practice at Hamilton, N. D., 1885; has been located In Roseau, Minn., since 1906. Member Minnesota State Medical Association, Red River Valley Medical Society. Democrat. Baptist. Member Masonic order. Address: Roseau, Minn.
MURNAN JAMES L. BOOK - HISTORY OF RENVILLE COUNTY, MN. PUB. 1916 James L. Murnan, a prominent farmer of Bandon township, was born on section 36, Bandon township, August 7, 1881, son of John and Jane (Blake) Murnan. The father, when a child, was at Ft. Ridgely during the Indian outbreak. He homesteaded the southeast quarter of the eastern half in section 36, Bandon township, where he lived until his death, at the age of twenty- eight, September 15, 1882, being killed in a threshing machine. The mother died February 2, 1898, at the age of forty-two. Besides the subject of this sketch, there was one child, Mary Jane, born August 21, 1879, now the wife of Thomas J. Maxwell, a farmer in Eugene, Ore. They have five children: Leonard, James, Mary, William and an infant. After his mother's death James L. Murnau made his home with James Maxwell, in Camp township, and attended school until 1900. Then he worked for his uncle Patrick Murnan, at Kingston, Meeker county, Minn., and attended school there for two years. Next he homesteaded in Roseau county, Minn., where he remained for six years. A year was then spent in Memphis, Tenn., and five years as a carpenter at Fairfax, Minn. He is now farming on the old home place. He is a member of the Catholic church and of the K. C. and C. 0. F.
NEWHOUSE TILFORD N. BOOK - HISTORY OF HOUSTON COUNTY, MN., PUBLISHED IN 1919. Tilford N. Newhouse, now deceased, former superintendent and manager of the Newhouse Lumber Company of Spring Grove, was born at Newhouse, Fillmore county, Minn., May 29, 1888, son of Peter and Carrie (Onsgard) Newhouse. He acquired his primary education in the schools of Mabel and Spring Grove, and in 1904 entered college at Valparaiso, Ind., where he pursued his studies for a year. In 1906 he was graduated from the Wisconsin Business College of La Crosse. In the meanwhile, when not actually engaged in study, he had become associated with his father in the lumber industry at Spring Grove and Lanesboro, Minn., thus acquiring his first knowledge of the business. In 1906, after graduating from the business college, he became bookkeeper in the Onsgard State Bank at Spring Grove, and in 1908 took a bank position at Roseau, Minn. In the following year he went to Sultan, Wash., where he worked in a lumber mill, but in the winter of 1909-10 he returned to Spring Grove, retaining, however, his connection with the same line of business, traveling as a salesman and working for a while in the lumber yard of Knute Olsen of Mabel. In the spring of 1916, on the formation of the Newhouse Lumber Company, he became its superintendent and manager, his father being president. As a capable business man he made his mark, and was also popular in the social circles of the village. On June 9, 1912, Mr. Newhouse was united in marriage with Leona, daughter of Harvey and Minnie Franklin, of Kalispell, Mont., and they began domestic life at Mabel, Minn. Their only child is Peter, who was born in Camas, Mont., Jan. 15, 1914. Mr. Newhouse died March 30, 1919, and his death was sincerely mourned.
OLSON HANS T. BOOK - COMPENDIUM OF HISTORY & BIOGRAPHY OF NORTHERN MINNESOTA, PUBLISHED 1902. Olson, Hans T. Hans T. Olson, one of the leading business men of Pelan and the efficient postmaster of that thriving town, is a pioneer of Kitson county, Minnesota, and has aided materially in its development. He is well known and universally respected as a citizen and business man. Mr. Olson was born in Norway June 20, 1850. He was apprenticed to the blacksmith's trade when fifteen years of age and worked at his trade until 1882 when he came to America. He here continued at blacksmithing in various parts of the country and in the spring of 1884 went to Kitson county and took land in section 26, township 160, range 45. He invested his scant savings in cattle and also opened a blacksmith shop on his place. He was on the outskirts of the settlement at that time and he had but a half dozen neighbors and no white people had as yet settled in Roseau county. Amid these lonely surroundings, and with the trials and hardships of frontier life to bear, he went at his task of developing a farm and building up a trade in his line of business. This he finally succeeded in doing and he has become one of the well known characters of that region. Stores were established at the present site of Pelan in 1895 and Mr. Olson purchased forty acres adjoining the townsite and, onto this property, he removed the postoffice. He began dealing in farming implements in 1898 and he has built up a good trade in this line and met with success in Kittson county. Mr. Oldon was married in 1887 to Miss Sophia Christianson. Three children have been born to this marriage, namely: Henry, Annie and Charles. Mr. Olson is an ardent Republican and has done much to promote the interests of that party. He is a member of the I.O.G.T.
PEIRCE DAVID A. BOOK - HISTORY OF FILLMORE COUNTY, MN., VOLS. 1 & 2, PUBLISHED IN 1912. David A. Peirce was born in Hudson, Maine, October 2, 1830, one of the ten children of David and Sarah (Plummer) Peirce. He married Amanda M. Brailey on March 29, 1856, and came to Le Roy, Minn., on June 10, the following year, where he preempted land in section one. In 1862 he moved his family to the village of Spring Valley and enlisted in Company E, Seventh Minnesota Volunteer Infantry, serving two years and ten months. After he was mustered out, he and his family continued to live in Spring Valley and vicinity until the spring of 1869 when they moved to Bath township, Freeborn county, Minnesota, where they resided until fall of 1885 or 1886, when, owing to Mrs. Peirce's ill health they returned to Spring Valley village. There Mrs. Peirce died January 23, 1887. Since then Mr. Peirce has made his home with his oldest daughter, Mrs. M. N. Johnson or with his youngest son Varney J., who has the old homestead in Bath township, excepting nine years when he and his son lived in Roseau county, where he filed his soldier claim on a quarter section in Cedar Bend township, which he still owns, as well as a quarter section in Wadena county, two miles from Aldridge. Mr. and Mrs. Peirce came of the good old Puritan stock and have stood for all that made for good citizenship in progress and education. To them were born five children: Sarah A., wife of M. N. Johnson, of York, Fillmore county; Frank D., editor, at St. Paul; Clara C., who died December 6, 1890; Eleanor P., married to Chas. C. Marquis, of Waukegan, Ill.; and Varney J., on the old homestead, Bath, Minn. Mr. and Mrs. Peirce sacrificed themselves much to give their children the advantages of a good practical education and instilled in their heart what is far better, the elements of useful citizenship.
SJOBERG ISRAEL THE BOOK OF MINNESOTANS - 1907 - ALBERT NELSON MARQUIS: SJOBERG, Israel, merchant and banker; born in Sweden, Feb. l6 1866 son of Jonas and Catharina (Bloom) Sjoberg; educated in common and high schools in Sweden. Came to America in 1888 and engaged in general store business in Roseau. 1889; established a branch store at Badger in company with a brother, 1894; added flour mill to the business, 1898; has accumulated 5000 acres of farm land since 1900. Vice president First National Bank, Roseau, since 1904; director First State Bank, Badger, since 1905. Republican. Married, June 18, 1897, to .Miss Laura Miller. Address: Roseau, or Badger, Minn.
SJOBERG PETER THE BOOK OF MINNESOTANS - 1907 - ALBERT NELSON MARQUIS: SJOBERG. Peter, merchant, banker, miller; born in Sweden, Jan. 29, 1868: educated in common and private schools. Came to America, 1893; began in business for self under title of Sjoberg Brothers, establishing general store at Roseau. April 1, 1893. and second store at Badger, Oct. 1, 1896; also Badger Roller Mills, Oct. 1, 1898, for the manufacture of (lour and feed. President First State Bank, Badger, since Oct. 1, 1904; director First National Bank, Roseau, since Jan. 1, 1905; president and manager Badger Milling Co.; manager firm Sjoberg Brothers. Village treasurer of Badger, 1899; president common council, 1900-01 and 1904-06. Republican (chairman Republican County Committee since 1905). Lutheran. Member Modern Woodmen of America. Married nt Roseau, 1903, to Miss Christina Lindstrom, Club: Commercial (vice president). Address: Badger, Minn.
STEBBINS GEORGE M. THE BOOK OF MINNESOTANS - 1907 - ALBERT NELSON MARQUIS: STEBBINS, George M.. lawyer; born In Rochester, Minn., July 25. 1875; son of A. T. and Adelaide Stebhlns; graduated from Rochester High School, June, 1895, and from Collcse of Law. University of Minnesota, degree of B.L., June. 1898; unmarried. Practiced l900 with firm of Brown & Abbott, Winona, Minn., 1898-1900; has practiced in Roseau since 1900. U. S. commissioner for the district of Minnesota, since Jan., 1903, and county attorney of Roseau Co.. since Jan. 3. 1905. Director Farmers and Merchants State Bank of Roseau, Farmers & Merchants State Bank of Greenbush; secretary and manager of Roseau County Abstract Co. Republican. Mason. Recreation: Hunting. Address: Roseau, Minn.
SWANSON FREDERICK WILLIAM THE BOOK OF MINNESOTANS - 1907 - ALBERT NELSON MARQUIS: SWANSON, Frederick William, banking; born in Todd Co., Minn., Aug. 14. 1874; son of Nelson and Sophia (Deering) Swanson; educated In common schools; Long Prairie High School; Beeman's Business College, Red Wing; University of Minnesota. Was salesman and buyer dry goods, A. S. Strauss & Co., Long Prairie, 1890; C. A. Johnsson & Co., Sauk Centre, 1896; Sullivan & Harrison, Barnesville, 1897; Sjoberc Brothers, Roseau, 1899-1901. Entered banking, April 8, 1901, and has been cashier Farmers and Merchants Bank. Badger, since Dec. 13, 1901. Republican. Member Modern Woodmen of America. Married at Roseau, Minn., Oct. 23, 1901. to Miss Rachel R. Budd. Club: Commercial (secretary). Recreation: HuntIng. Address: Badger, Minn.
TAWNEY DANIEL E. THE BOOK OF MINNESOTANS - 1907 - ALBERT NELSON MARQUIS; TAWNEY, Daniel E., lawyer; born at Gettysburg, Pa., July 17, 1860; son of John E. and Sarah (Boblitz) Tawney; educated In public schools of Pennsylvania; graduate of Law Department, University of Wisconsin, degree of LL. B., 1890. Married at Geneva. Wis., 1896, to Miss Jeannette Jones. Came West, 1878, with his parents, to Fremont, Neb., where he entered farming and live stock raising; removed to Winona, 1888, and has been engaged in practice of law since 1890; member of the law firm of Tawney, Smith & Tawney since Jan., 1891. City attorney Winona, term beginning May 1. 1905; judge of municipal court of Winona, 1897-1901. Member Winona County Bar Association. President and director Farmers & Merchants State Bank, Greenbush, Minn., Farmers & Merchants State Bank, Roseau, Minn., First National Bank, Halleck, Minn. Republican. Congregatlonallst. Member Knights of Pythias, M. W. A., A. O. U. W.. Modern Samaritans. Clubs: Arlington (one of the ineorporators), Minne-O-Wah (one of the organizersj. Recreations: Driving, fishing, horticulture. Address: Winona. Minn.
VON ROHR JOHN BOOK - HISTORY OF WINONA COUNTY, MN., VOL 1 & 2, PUBLISHED IN 1913. John Von Rohr, druggist of Winona, was born near Niagara Falls, in New York state, April 1, 1850, and spent his first twelve years at the place of his birth. At the age of twelve years he was sent to Buffalo, where he attended a German seminary three years. At the age of fifteen years he started work for a large drug establishment in Buffalo. In 1868 he came to Winona, where his brother, Rev. Philip Von Rohr had already located. Mr. Von Rohr secured work with Benson & Kendell, then the leading pharmacists here, with a store on Second street, near Center. He remained with that concern until the winter of 1881. Then he purchased the drug store of H. R. Wedell, located where the Burlington freight and passenger stations now stand, at the corner of Second and La Fayette streets. In 1884, after the business of the city had moved to the southward, Mr. Von Rohr moved to his present location at the corner of Third and La Fayette streets. He has remained in that location ever since, and has built up a large business. Mr. Von Rohr is president of the Winona Pharmaceutical Association, and has been prominent in medical circles here for many years. He served here for twelve years and was a member of that board when the present High School building was erected. His name is included on a tablet now attached to the building. The drug store of Mr. Von Rohr was established in Winona in 1881, and from that date it has been one of the foremost in this city. Every provision has been made to create a pleasing effect in its arrangement and to provide for the display of goods to the best advantage. The stock carried affords the best that is to be found in the leading drug stores of the country; and including everything prescribed by the physicians of this locality. All ingredients used are of the purest and best quality and every prescription is compounded exactly according to the physician's directions, every caution possible being taken. John Von Rohr was married in the fall of 1871 to Lucy Schall, a native of Buffalo. Eight children have been born to this union, four sons and four daughters. Arthur is president of the Minnesota State Pharmacy Board, resides in Winona, and is associated with his father in business. Carl is the cashier of the Farmers & Merchants' State Bank, of Roseau, Minn. John is the assistant cashier of a bank at Greenbush, Minn. Herbert is a student in the Winona high school. Ella is the wife of C. A. Ernst, of Philadelphia. Lucy is instructor in domestic science at the South high school, Minneapolis. Olga J. is assistant librarian at the Winona Public Library. Ida is with the Government Forestry Service at Custer, So. Dak.
WAAG AASOLD THE BOOK OF MINNESOTANS - 1907 - ALBERT NELSON MARQUIS; WAAG, Aasold, abstracter of titles; born in Norway, June 17, 1869; educated in common schools and at Military Academy of Chrlstiansand, Norway, graduating, May, 1882; married at Roseau, Minn., Oct. 13, 1897. Came to America, June 26, 1886, and to Minnesota 4 days later; was county auditor Roseau Co., 1897-98; deputy State weighmaster, State grain department of Minnesota, 1899-1900; has been engaged In abstract of title business since May 20, 1901, as official abstracter of titles. Also manager Roseau County Land Co. (co-partnership) ; member of firm of K. Ferguson & Co. Democrat. Member Modern Woodmen of America and A. F. & A. M. Address: Roseau, Minn.
WIEHR AUGUST BOOK - HISTORY OF RENVILLE COUNTY, MN. PUB. 1916  August Wiehr, a successful business man, was born February 13, 1866, in Posen, Germany, son of "William and Caroline (Nehring) Wiehr. His mother died in Germany in 1881 at the age of forty-two years and the father came to America to Blue Earth City, Faribault county, in 1882. There were five children in the family: Augusta, August, Ernestine, Julius and Rudolph. They came to Wells, Minnesota, May 2, 1882, where they joined an uncle, Ludwig Nehring. All began working except the very youngest children. The father married again, to Mrs. Emelia Henke, a widow, and took up farming near Blue Earth City. He lived in a sod hut on a homestead of eighty acres, which the filed for. August began to work for himself and that summer went to Spring Valley, Fillmore county, where he remained from 1882 till 1888, when he went to Buffalo Lake and located a tract of 160 acres of state land, which he secured from P. W. Olson. It was all wild land. He built a house 14 by 18 feet and a barn 14 by 20 feet in 1889, and began farming with three horses and three cows. He now has a fine farm of 520 acres. He erected a silo in 1904 for corn and feed for the cattle. His stock is of good grade and he has specialized in Poland-China and Duroc- Jersey hogs. In 1906 he started out on a small scale in the ditching business, at first doing work in his own township and county. His contracts have taken him in McLeod, Yellow Medicine, Sib- ley and Kandiyohi counties. Two years were spent in Roseau and Kittson counties building a state highway. He employs from eight to ten men and has a complete outfit. By strict application to his business he has become very successful. He still conducts his farm together with his contract business. Mr. Wiehr is a stockholder in the Farmers' Elevator at Buffalo Lake. For a time he was the president of the creamery which D. S. Hall helped to organize, Mr. Wiehr succeeding Mr. Hall as president. He is a member of the Evangelical church at Buffalo Lake and was one of the first trustees. He helped organize the Sunday school, and was its first superintendent. Mr. Wiehr was married March 13, 1889, to Anna Krause at Racine, Minnesota. She was born in Racine township, Mower county, Minnesota, daughter of Benjamin and Henrietta (Schnieder) Krause, both natives of Germany. They were married there and left with two children, Ernestina and Augusta, for the United States in 1860, coming by sailing vessel, being about twelve weeks on the water. They went to Wisconsin and settled near Green Lake, near Ripon. After three years they drove to Racine, Minnesota, by ox team. The father died in 1891 at the age of sixty-nine and the mother died in 1904 at the age of seventy-five years. Pour children were born in Minnesota: Emma, Ella, Anna and Minnie. Mr. and Mrs. Wiehr have had six children: "William, Henrietta, Fred, Alfred, Minnie, and one who died in infancy.