WILLIAM HAGAN, born in Denmark, April 9, 1845,
is a son of Carl Frederick and Elizabeth Hagan. He came to this country in 1863,
landed at Quebec, going thence to Chicago, where he followed
his trade (that of moulder) for several years.
Soon after the late war he came South on a prospecting tour, and in 1872
located at Rome, Ga., and remained until 1879. In that year he came to Gadsden,
where, in partnership with John
Flynn, he established a small foundry and machine
shop. In 1883, Mr. G.E. Line came into the
firm, and they organized and
established the Gadsden Foundry and Machine Works, with a capital stock of
$10,000. This was the first iron working concern started at Gadsden, and the
success of the enterprise has been even greater than its founders ever expected.
Messrs. Hagan & Flynn
purchased Line's interest in the foundry and machine works in March, 1887, and
are now its exclusive owners.
Mr. Hagan was married in September, 1872, at Rome,
Ga., to Miss Jennie Martin, and their two
children are named, respectively, Daisy and Frederick.
Mr. and Mrs. Hagan are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and Mr. Hagan
is a member of the Knights of Honor and Knights of Pythias.
McCalley, Henry, Northern Alabama :
historical and biographical.
Birmingham, AL: Smith & De
Land, 1888, pp. 835.