What's New?
Almanac
Bibliography
Cemeteries
Census
Families
Forum - Queries
GENDIS
Guestbook
History
Look Up Help
Maps
Military

Miscellaneous
Obituary Index
Photos
Resources
Surname Register
Township Histories

Eben Junction

Eben was named for Ebenezer Austin Young, brother of Roscow Young, the superintendent of the Munising Railway Company.

Through the years, Eben has seen many changes in business places. The first general store was built by Chan Brown in the early 1900's. The building, still standing, also housed the post office for about fifty years. Andrew Salmi built his store in 1915 and the building was later renovated into a laundromat operated for a short time by Eugene Salmi. Victor Hayry ran an early garage. Others who operated garages include Art Laakso, Oscar Kuula, Elmer Kumpu, Willie Lintula, Elmer Salo, and Bill Perander.

The first postmaster in Eben was Emil Hoppe in 1908. He was succeeded by Adolph Nyman (1913), Earl Brown (1915 to about 1953), Mrs. Earl (Margaret) Brown until August 1955 when Aune (Vartti) Juntunen was appointed. In 1966 the post office was moved across the highway to Elmer and Aune Juntunen's new home where it is still located. Mrs. Juntunen retired in 1982, and Norman Laakso has recently been the new postmaster.

Emil Hoppe was also the first depot agent and was succeeded by Archie Belonga. Mike Groleau was a long-time Soo Line section foreman.

Eli Lampi, in the early 30's, operated a pool room and small lunch shop on the site of the present New Moon tavern. He expanded his operations by building a large garage where he sold new and used cars. With the repeal of prohibition, Eli and his wife, Sophie, started the almost legendary Blue Moon tavern and dance hall. Fire, the odd nemesis of area businesses, completely destroyed the building in 1938. It was replaced in 1940 but that too burned down in 1952. The present tavern, the New Moon, built in 1954, has had a succession of owners.

As more settlers moved into the area, schools were built in nine different locations. The first school in Eben (today the Eben Apostolic Church) was built between 1902 and 1904. Many Snyder was the first teacher.

Many of the earliest arrivals began farming in the Eben area, among them Frank Rosendahl (Ross), Jacob Ruuspakka, Jacob Lehtimaki, Thomas Hallstrom, Oscar Nyman, John Jacobson, Sr., John Akkila, and Edward Luoma.



 


 

Copyright 2009 Colleen Pustola  |  Contact Me